Tuesday 23 October 2012

Dayton Business Journal: Tech & Innovation : Business Advice

ycoguqi.wordpress.com
Because that's what the idea was. I woulrd replace my home officetelephone line, whicj I only use for outgoing calls, and instead start making all of my calls over the Internet. This way I couldr pocket the $50 a month I've been giving to Verizobn and use those savings to buy moreimportant things. Like food. Except it really didn't turn out that way. Why? Becausde the Internet phone services I triedsworked ... but just not all the time. Which is typicall of most technology. For I played around with Skype (www.skype.com) for a few Not bad.
Signing up for the service was free and the headsety that I purchased from Staplesfor $20 only had to be replacedx once (I do not advise lendingv one's headset to a 12 year old. Enough Astonishingly, installing the Skypwe application on mylaptop didn'tf cause it to lock up or crash on me. So for that reasonb alone I felt that thingdwere successful. Once up and Skype did as promised … just about all of the I used the little computer generated keypadd on my laptop to make If I called another Skype user the callwas Unfortunately, I don't really have a lot of conversations with high schoo l and college kids, nor do I care to really spea k to anyone under 25.
So there's not a lot of phones numbers in mySkype directory. you can use Skype to call a regular land line and then get charged a few centasper call. So that's what I mostly did. The problem was the It worked. Most of the time. But sometimesa it just didn't. Sometimes I had to call back the persomn two or three times to get a good Orspeak loudly. There were a few instances wher I saidnaughty words. Then there was this one time where I triex to participate in a conference call and had to make the threee other people wait whileI re-calledc the call-in number a few times untiol there was no cracklinbg sound on the phone. That was fun too. So I stoppec using Skype.
Frustrated I turned to another Net calling service calledmagicJack (www.magicjack.com). No, this has nothinbg to do with changing the tirex ofa car. And there was no pleasurwe involved. For $40 magicJack ships me a littls unit that I plug into the USB port of my I then hook my office phone intothe unit. Afted installing the program I'm able to make phone calls from my regularephone (not the headset I boughgt from Staples … bye-byee $20). Like Skype, magicJack places its calls over the along with the other 100 trillion bits of information crossinbg thesame pipelines. See whers I'm going here?
Theird deal is that you can make unlimiter calls you want to anyone in the UnitedrStates (I'm told they're working on overseas plans) for only $50 per year. I did the math and that'ss $550 less a year than I'm spendinyg on my office line, so therse you go ... magic! Unfortunatelyu ... not so magical. Why? Same thing with It worked. Most of the time. I suffered from the occasionakl disconnected calls or calld that had to be or calls thatjust didn't sound like a very good call at all. More naught words. More blood thinner required. In the end I brokr down and kept myoffice line. You win Verizon. I just need thingxs that work as they promised towork ...
all the I have enough headaches inmy life. I have kids and a mortgagee and dandruff. I can't sit around and worrg that an important conversation with a prospective customer is going to get cutoff orsounc horrible. Verizon's line in my office workss allthe time. It'xs one less hassle to deal with. I stil l keep the magicJack and Skype servicezsbecause I've had occasion to use them when traveling. Most likelyg I'll forget to cancel my subscription sonow I'll be payingh an extra $50 a year for next to nothing. But I'm a pennyg pincher. Not a cheapskate. Sure, it's less expensivee to use these Netcalling services. But I'nm sacrificing some quality.
Some dependability. I'm givingy myself more headaches. To me, it's not worty it. These technologies are great for kids or But to rely on them for business at leastso far, isn't a greatr idea for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment